Monday, August 6, 2018

Little Orange and Chocolate Tarts

Last week we were given a whole bag of oranges. We get them every year from one of my husband's squash partners. When we do get them, there is usually a lot of different orange flavoured things on the menu. This was the second batch for the year, and as I had already made a batch of marmalade, I needed to do something different.

I searched on-line for orange desserts, and found a recipe for a chocolate and orange tart. I must add here that it was delicious, especially with fresh strawberries and blue berries. For this recipe I needed orange curd, and that meant I had to make it. No worries, it was easy enough, I just had a jar of it left over after making the tart. What to do with it?

Back when I was a child my Mother would make a batch of little sweet pastry tart cases, then fill them with lemon curd when needed for afternoon tea. So I had an idea that I could make little sweet pastry cases and fill them with orange curd. Then I had another idea that I could top them with a chocolate ganache. Mmmm......... an interesting idea that needs some work.

The little sweet tart cases were fine, but the orange curd was soft. It was a nice spreading consistency for toast, and went into the little tart cases OK, it just wasn't good when I went to spread the chocolate ganache on the top. With the first one, I tried to spread the ganache, but dumped that idea very quickly as the orange curd and ganache mixed together. From then on I just dolloped the ganache on the top. The prettiness may not be there, but gee the taste is. One little mouthful of yummyness.

Would I make them again? Yes, but differently. Maybe the ganache could go on the bottom of the tart, be left to set, then the orange curd added to the top. Something to think about.

I must show you my little tart tins too that I used to make them. This one was my mothers, and has been well used. I have others that I have bought that have that same shell shape on the bottom too, so can make many at the same time. It's a shape that I have not seen in a very long time. I'll treasure this one for as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment