Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Orange And White Chocolate Cake


There was a birthday in the house on Monday, so I decided to make a cake. I thought of caramel mud cake, white chocolate mud cake, orange cake, and the list went on. I settled on something with white chocolate, then Googled flavour pairings with it. The list was endless, but it did contain orange, and I still had a pile of oranges that I could use. So then I Googled white chocolate and orange cake recipes and found heaps.

I found one where the orange was cut, skin and all ( I did remove the seeds) and placed in a food processor. This was different. then there was the one with cardamon in it, mmm........ interesting. I have made plenty of orange cakes with cinnamon in them, but never cardamon. So I combined the two. I quite often pick bits and pieces of recipes now and blend to make my own.

The cake was the basic cream butter and sugar, add eggs,  orange pulp,  flour, spice, orange juice and white chocolate type.

It's the first time I've made an orange cake using pulp made in a food processor. I usually grate the orange rind, and I'll keep doing it that way now I've tried it in the food processor. Using a grater gives a much finer rind through the cake, the food processor left some of the pieces a bit big for my liking. I could have processed it more, but it took a long time anyway. Much quicker and better to grate I think.

Then it was time to add the cardamon. The recipe called for teaspoon of the spice, but I wasn't game to add that much, so I only added a very small half teaspoon of it. It can be tasted in the cake, next time I might be tempted to add a bit more, or even combine it with cinnamon.

Once cooked and cooled, the cake then needed icing. I thought of a white chocolate ganache, and orange frosting, and wondered how orange juice  and white chocolate would would react together. So I Googled again and found a recipe for orange and white chocolate truffles.Using this as a guide, I melted some white chocolate with butter, added some icing sugar and orange juice, and stirred until smooth. It tasted good! So this is what I put on my cake, topped off with chopped roasted pistachio nuts.

The cake was excellent except for the larger pieces of orange rind. Great as cake on its own but even better with fresh strawberries. I'll be making one of these again, just not in a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment