Friday, June 7, 2019

Steak Pie

When the weather gets cooler we look for warming things to eat. This steak pie is one that I have been making for a while now, served with some mashed potatoes and steamed veggies of choice. Carrots and fresh beans go extremely well.

It's a recipe that I found in The Woman's Day Meat Lover's Cookbook, one that I bought way back in the early 1980's. My book has lost it's cover now from so much use, but I still refer to it regularly.

The recipe is just chuck steak, onion, tomato pure, salt and pepper, and chopped parsley. Cooked long and slow, it is then thickened, placed in a pot with some pastry on top. I now add some smoked paprika and garlic to the mix to give a new  depth of flavour. Sometimes I make my own pastry, but sometimes I am lazy and just use a sheet of commercial puff pastry. Brushed with beaten egg or milk, then sprinkled with sesame seeds. Yummo on a cold winters night.

No comments:

Post a Comment