Friday, August 3, 2018

A Beef Pie


Time has moved on from my earlier post. My pie mix has been slow cooked, thickened and put into a casserole pot. I then topped it with puff pastry, decorated it, glazed it, sprinkled it with sesame seeds, and popped it into the oven to cook.

I like my pie pastry crisp, so I always use something to lift it off my filling. My Mum always did this, so I do it too. I'm sure my Mum had a pie funnel, but I don't so I make do with what  have. I wonder what happened to hers?

I Googled pie funnels, and yes, they do still exist. I must look for one in a kitchen shop when I'm next in one. I am constantly looking in them and must say I have never spotted one. Maybe an op shop might be a better place to look.

This pot is a little bigger than the one I normally use as the mix was more, so my normal glass egg cup that  I use to lift it up was too small. So instead I used a small, clean, upturned glass jar. Possibly a little too big, but it worked.

My decorations of flowers and leaves were just cut from left over pastry. I've made roses from rolled ribbon many times, so I just made this one from rolled pastry. The leaves were just cut freehand with a knife.

So my pie went into the oven and came out looking like this.

It was hot and delicious, with a hint of spice, and ready in time for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment