Thursday, September 6, 2018

Rhubarb And Apple Crumble

I love rhubarb, always have done. My Mum used to stew it with apple and we would have it with icecream for dessert. Of course, back then it was home grown.

So now when I spot rhubarb for sale, I usually grab a bunch  and make a crumble. At first, I used to make this cake like topping that my Mother used to put on the top of cooked apple. It was always delicious and I continued the tradition, just on the top of cooked rhubarb instead.

Over the years I have always looked at any new recepie I find, and I found one one day for a rhubarb and apple crumble that was different to what I had been doing, and it is so much better.

I  cook the apple and rhubarb in a pot with a very minute amount of water. When cooked, I add brown sugar, golden syrup, lemon juice and cinnamon. This all goes in a heat proof casserole dish to be topped with the crumble mix.


The crumble mix is flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, rolled oats, coconut, chopped pecans and melted butter. It is all mixed together then placed on top of the cooked fruit.


This then goes into the oven for about half an hour or until the crumble is brown & crunchy.

A different take on my Mum's rhubarb, but oh so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment